Our knowledge of the supply chain and distribution testing extends from point of manufacture, through the shipment process, to point of sale, and beyond to customer/consumer use. Our packaging transit testing capabilities cover a broad range of disciplines, including: climatic conditioning, compressiong, drop and impacts, shock, vibration and pressure differentiation.
How Smithers supports clients with packaging transit testing
Using our expertise, Smithers has been leveraging its package transit testing laboratories and the knowledge of our lab teams to deliver value to our clients in the following areas:
- Product validation to ensure that the product itself is sufficiently robust to withstand the rigors of the supply chain
- Packaging validation to ensure adequate protection of the product to reach its final destination in the right condition
- Troubleshooting a real life shipment issue to reduce damage and losses occurring in the field
- Regulatory compliance suport for medical / healthcare products where evidence is required as part of a regulatory submission (FDA, MRHA) demonstrating that the packaged goods will reach the point of use in sterile or satisfactory condition.
Real-world packaging transit simulation testing
We can recreate a range of shipping environments, including:
- Healthcare lanes and the cold chain shipping environment
- Parcel and courier deliver
- LTL shipments
- Unit load and full pallet shipments
- Retailer distribution and mixed load shipment
- Roll cage and mixed pallets.
Industry sectors and product package testing expertise
Smithers operates state-of-art package testing laboratories in Leatherhead, UK and Lansing, Michigan. Our expertise and equipment covers the range of global shipment environments and supply chain conditions and our projects relate to products manufactured in developed regions as well as emerging and new markets. Industries served include:
- Fast moving consumer products (FMCG) and consumer packaged goods (CPG)
- Medical, pharmaceutical and healthcare products
- Food products (fresh, chilled, frozen and dry packed)
- Beverage products
- Personal care products
- Industrial goods (automotive and industrial components)
- Electronic products (consumer, automotive and industrial components)
- Toys and hobby products
- Aerospace and defense products and components
- Dangerous goods and hazardous materials.
All Smithers' packaging transit testing laboratories are ISTA certified and ISO 17025 accredited. Many of the team members in both the US and UK are ISTA certified members and are globally recognized for their knowledge and expertise.
Download a brochure for more information on packaging transit testing: