The Smithers Group began in 1925 as an impartial testing ground for an infant tire industry starting to thrive in and around Akron, Ohio. Over the years, the Smithers Group has evolved into several leading technology-based businesses, including SQA, serving an international clientele.
SQA’s company mission dictates a unique, defined decision-making process that combines ethical standards with an acute awareness of how each decision affects our customers and our employees. This business philosophy has led to the following milestones and achievements:
- In 1993, SQA was incorporated in Ohio and accredited to certify companies to the ISO 9000 series of quality management system standards.
- In 1995, SQA was one of the first nine auditors accredited for QS-9000, the American automotive quality system standard.
- In 1997, SQA was accredited by the United States-based ANSI-ASQ National Accreditation Board (ANAB).
- In 1998, SQA was selected to participate in the pilot program for the new international automotive quality management system, ISO/TS 16949.
- In 1999, SQA expanded its scope by becoming accredited for the ISO 14000 environmental management system standard.
- In 2000, SQA achieved accreditation for AS9000 (now AS9100), the aircraft and aerospace sector quality management system standard. SQA also became approved by the International Automotive Task Force (IATF). SQA is especially proud of the fact that in early In October 2000, the company became one of only four registrars (at that time) in the United States that was fully approved by the IATF to grant certifications to this new standard.